Dear Fellow Congregants,
The COVID-19 Advisory Task Force has reviewed our current operating procedures (since the beginning of Phase Four) and made the following updates which will go into effect on July 24, 2020.
How, and when, will we reopen?
As mentioned in our previous updates, as tempting as it is to identify a specific date for when we will begin a phased reopening, the nature of the COVID-19 virus and its spread makes this virtually impossible. Drawing upon guidelines established by other faith communities and the recommendations of the CDC, we have initiated a Phase Four Plan outlined below. The following procedures will be applicable to all synagogue gatherings (both onsite and offsite), usage of the facility by synagogue partners, and all who enter into a rental agreement with Temple Jeremiah.
Phase Four Specifics (as of July 24, 2020)
We will follow all guidelines as indicated by the State of Illinois and the CDC, yet reserve the right to further enhance our procedures to fulfill our number one goal: the health and safety of our community.
- In-person lifecycle events are permitted with no more than 50 people. This number will continue to be evaluated on a regular basis.
- Everyone wears a mask for the entire event.
- Only one rabbi will be in the service at a time. The cantor may participate in lifecycle events in the Schreibman Sanctuary only with the use of a designated area for singing and chanting.
- Services will be modified to maintain physical distancing.
- Guests need to bring their own tallit and kippah. Prayer books will be available to use and safely stored after use.
- All who touch the Torah should sanitize their hands prior to handling.
- The building will follow stringent entrance and safety procedures.
- Guests must preregister.
- There will be designated entrances and exits with the door opened so no one needs to touch the door handle.
- Temperature and health screening questions will be asked of each registered guest upon entering.
- If you have any symptoms (cough, cold, sneezing, fever, etc.) you will not be permitted in the building.
- Physical distancing will be observed at all times.
- Select programs may take place outside of the physical building.
- These programs will require all to wear face masks and practice in physical distancing.
- All other worship and programming will continue in our current digital format.
WHEN ENTERING, YOU ASSUME THE RISK AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WHILE TEMPLE JEREMIAH REGULARLY CLEANS AND SANITIZES OUR BUILDING, WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE PROTECTED FROM THE SPREAD OF THE COVID-19 VIRUS.
We will also follow the above guidelines if the clergy is officiating at a lifecycle event at a different location, such as a funeral or wedding. The above guidelines will stay in effect until such time as new information has been released by the Governor and the CDC or health officials.
Temple Jeremiah COVID-19 Advisory Task Force
Dr. Scott Levin, MD, President
Barbara Miller, Immediate Past President
Ed Shapiro, Legal Counsel
Dr. Cory Franklin, MD
Charles Ieuter, Insurance Advisor
Rabbi Paul F. Cohen, D.Min., D.D.
Danny Glassman, Executive Director