Illinois’ Block Illegal Ownership and Fix the FOID bill is likely to be heard in committee this week. If enacted, this policy will:
- Require background checks for all gun sales, including person-to-person, private sales.
- Verify the identity of FOID card applicants by requiring one set of fingerprints submitted to the Illinois State police.
- Enable Illinois State Police to remove guns once a FOID is revoked.
- Dedicate mental health funding for communities impacted by gun violence.
You can share your opinion on the bill with your local representatives by filling out a witness slip. To fill out a witness slip, simply:
- Click here
- Fill out the Identification section with your information. For the firm/business or agency and title fields, write “self” unless you are authorized by a company or business to use its name on the witness slip.
- Fill out the representation section. If you are not authorized to appear on behalf of any group, fill in NA or “self”.
- Fill out the position section by selecting your stance on the bill from the three provided option
- Complete the testimony section. We recommend that you check the “Record of Appearance Only” box; doing so will allow your position on the piece of legislation to be known without having to physically appear.
- Type what is displayed in the CAPTCHA box.
- Click in the box next to “I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement”.
- Click “Create (SLIP).”