Hebrew School is offered on Monday or Wednesday afternoons from 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
See the full Hebrew School Calendar
We at Temple Jeremiah believe that the Hebrew program is an integral part of our total education endeavor and over 98% of our students participate in this most important program. The study of the living Hebrew language provides a dynamic sense of participation and achievement. The skills necessary for active and meaningful participation in home observances and religious services are a central focus of our Hebrew instruction.
Our goals build upon one another:
- To develop familiarity with the Hebrew language
- To develop enthusiasm for the Hebrew language and customs and traditions
- To develop the ability to read Hebrew
- To develop the joy and obtain the skills for celebration of the holidays in both the temple and the home
- To obtain a knowledge of prayers for Shabbat and other Jewish holidays
- To introduce students to a basic conversational vocabulary
- To develop an awareness of the significance and importance of becoming a Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
Students who elect to become Bar/Bat Mitzvah are required to complete a minimum of three and a half years of study in the Hebrew Department prior to the beginning of the school year in which the Bar/Bat Mitzvah will occur. Our children are able to conduct an entire Shabbat service at the completion of their B’nai Mitzvah studies, as well as chant Torah and Haftarah.