It started with a question. This sentence explains Where have I been and Where am I now, the theme of this year’s “Jeremiah Gems”.
Questions–and answers–have shaped my life. Will you marry me? Should we have a child? Do you want to work for our organization? The answers to these questions all had a major impact on the direction of my life and help explain where I am now. But a seemingly small question probably had the most significant impact, and its answer brought me to where I am now as president of Temple Jeremiah.
Someone simply asked me: “Will you help with the Feed the Hungry program this week?” I answered immediately and without hesitation: Of course, I’m happy to help. That question was asked by a temple member more than 20 years ago, and it started me on a path of service to the community that continues to this very day.
It’s easy to draw a connection between this question and my involvement with Tikkun Olam, but that was only one of the outcomes. The others were becoming involved in a temple community that has been there for me in good and difficult times and working and learning from a group of talented and dedicated people with different backgrounds. From this experience I have developed values that include caring for those around me who needed my help, and passing those values on to my children.
The most important result of being asked to help with the Feed the Hungry program was that it gave me direction. Every day I try to find a way to help. Many days I am unsuccessful but I keep moving in the same forward direction- and I don’t plan to stop anytime soon!
When someone asks you to help, say yes. You just never know where it will lead.
- An Update on the Refugee Sisters You Helped Sponsor - December 21, 2017
- Adult Hebrew Class - December 5, 2017
- Say Yes to Supporting Temple Jeremiah - November 28, 2017
- Moving from Divisions to Dialogue- A Conversation with Laurie Grauer - November 8, 2017
- Announcement from Adam Kahan - November 7, 2017
- Annual Noni Dodge Blood Drive - October 13, 2017
- Will You Say Yes? - September 27, 2017
- Jeremiah Gems- Rabbi Rick Jacobs - September 19, 2017
- Jeremiah Gems- Lisa Guralnick - September 17, 2017
- Jeremiah Gems- Norma Brown - September 16, 2017