Temple Jeremiah is a participating member of Family Promise, a national organization that helps homeless and low-income families achieve sustainable independence. These families are like ours, but circumstances have brought them to a point of financial crisis. They have exhausted their resources and are now homeless. Temple Jeremiah is a founding member of Family Promise Chicago North Shore, a coalition of interfaith houses of worship that host these families on a rotating basis. When Temple Jeremiah serves as host, we need volunteers to: prepare meals, dine and/or spend the evening with the families, help with homework, and donate supplies.
Family Promise has developed a combination of services to keep these families intact and provide for their basic needs while helping to restore their lives to normalcy and move into affordable housing.
Temple Jeremiah is part of a group of North Shore interfaith houses of worship that will host homeless families on a rotating basis. Since this is an ongoing program, there will be numerous opportunities to help.
Our next hosting week is July 9-23, 2017. Click here for more information and to sign up on our Sign-Up Genius.
WE NEED YOUR HELP! During the week that we serve as hosts, we need the following:
- People who are willing to bring or donate dinner for one or more evenings.
- People who are willing to serve the meals and stay with guests in the early evening to play with children, help with homework and be good ambassadors of Temple Jeremiah.
- People who are willing to spend the night with our guests.
- People who are willing to donate supplies or money.
- This is a great opportunity for individuals and families to come together and experience hands-on tikkun olam . Whether you make a large or small contribution, your kindness will be felt by those who are truly in great need.