In 2015-2016 the Social Justice Committee looked at the inequities of the criminal justice system in Illinois.
In March and April 2016 we hosted educational and speaking events looking at this issue from many angles.
Criminal Justice Platform
- Justice should be color blind
- Punishment should be just
- The ability to get fair, just treatment should not depend on income
Headlines in the News Regarding Criminal Justice
Check out these links to learn more about this important issue.
- ACTION REQUIRED: Time-Sensitive Information About Decriminalizing Marijuana (Illinois State Bill 2228) , by TJ congregant Dawn Lavin
- New Report on Poverty Shows the Moral, Human, and Economic Toll of Racial Inequity in Illinois
- Sentencing Reform and Corrections Act - Clergy letter to Mark Kirk
- Public Opinion on Criminal Justice Reform in Illinois
- Holding Sentencing Reform Hostage
- What's so wrong about hiring an ex-offender?
- Stop-and-Frisk: The High School Senior (video)
- Stop-and-Frisk: The Police Officer (video)
Organizations Working in Criminal Justice
Learn more about criminal justice through these organizations.
- Cook County Justice for Children (CCJC)
- Juvenile Justice Initiative
- James B. Moran Center for Youth Advocacy
- Illinois State Commission on Criminal Justice and Sentencing Reform
- John Howard Association of Illinois
- Cabrini Green Legal Aid